Need to create a new artboard in Illustrator?
Artboards are the bread and butter of Illustrator (okay, maybe just the bread). Most everything you create in Illustrator will live on an artboard. When you export a project, you will also likely use the artboard to export the correct size file. In this mini tutorial we will cover the basics of creating new artboards in Adobe Illustrator.
First we will look at how to create a new artboard as part of a new project (pretty simple). Then I will show you how to add a new artboard to an existing Illustrator project.
Here’s how to do it:
To create a new Artboard (new project):
- Open Illustrator
- From the launch window click the Create New button on the left side
- Or, to start a new project from the top menu, click File > New
- Setup your project size and measurement units from the New Document
- Click the Create button
To create a new Artboard (existing project):
- Open your Illustrator project file
- From the Tools Panel on the left, activate the Artboard Tool (Shift + O)
- With the Artboard Tool, click-and-drag to create a new artboard in the canvas area